Maipayat (Physical Exercise)
These exercise will be performed from east to west and back while the Gurukkal (master or instructor) will give the side-commands (vaithari).Training is commenced with the control of leg exercising.
Kolthari (wooden weapons)
Once the student is performing Maipayat to a satisfactorily level, the Gurukkal will allow him to proceed into the instruction of Kolthari. Kettukari: some people will call this long staff ‘Pandeeran’….
Ankathari (Metal weapons)
In this advanced category of Kalaripayatt-teaching the student needs to be more courageous because of the increased danger. ‘Ankathari’ is a double-edged, sharp weapon, dagger.
Verumkai prayogam (Empty hand fighting system)
This is the fourth stage of Kalari Training. The opponents body is the pecularity of this system. By this method one can disabled of the enemy completely usually…
A short sketch about Ramesh R Nair Gurukkal…..
- Born in Kollemcode, Kanyakumari district in the year of 1982 and having become a Master in Kalaripayattu, was introduced to Coimbatore as a Kalari Gurukkal in the year 2005
- Started learning Bharatanatyam under Smt. Mrudula Rai and is doing so for the past 5 year.
- Has already performed in her troupe in various platforms like- Chidambaram Natyanjali, Perur Natyanjali, Mamallapuram Dance Festival, Tanjavur, Natyanjali at Tiruvaroor, Pandanallur, Mayura Natyanjaliect., to name a few.
- Has completed 2 levels in the Yathnam Exams conducted by Prayathnam
- He is also getting trained in Nattuvangam and has performed in quite a number of programs.
- And at his Kalari school “KAILASSAM C.V.N Kalari, he trains Baratanatyam students in Kalari which keeps them fit and increases their flexibility.
While practicing or performing this art, if students get injured, Kalari guru Treats it. Slowly this type of treatment grew as a branch and has become popular. Thus Kalari has been used from ancient times for treatment of bone dislocation, bone fractures cramps and similar muscle problems and blows to ‘marmam’ of body parts.Massaging using oil prepared from herbs of medical value, applying fine paste of many herbal species on body parts(lepanachikitsa) and medicine Kizhi are the most common method used in Kaiari treatments. An experienced Kalari Guru can also use ‘marmavidya’ and make a patient stand in 2 minutes, even if he is suffering from severe pain due to a cramp.